Standing Rock Lutheran Church
136 Mill Road
Fort Ransom, Ransom County, North Dakota 58033
136 Mill Road
Fort Ransom, Ransom County, North Dakota 58033
Standing Rock Congregation
The need and the urge to organize Christian congregations became evident. Groundwork for the organization of the Standing Rock Congregation was laid at the home of Theodore Peterson Slattum. This was in the fall of 1881, and the occasion was the funeral of Marie Slattum, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theo. Slattum. Klokker Ole H. Rufsvold conducted the funeral services, and she was laid to rest on her parent's homestead. After the service, Ole Rufsvold and Gilbert Hanson talked about how desirable and necessary it was to get a congregation organized.
Pastor J.L. Lundeby of Valley City helped organize the Standing Rock Congregation in February 1882. The following men, with their families were charter members: Nels Olson, Gilbert Hanson, Ole Rufsvold, Erik Anderson, Kasper Olson, and John Kragness. Ole Rufsvold was elected secretary of the newly organized congregation and served in that capacity until 1910, a period of 28 years.
Only the charter members of each congregation will be listed in this brief account. Other pioneer families followed in the next few years and settled. Not all became members of either congregation, though they did materially assist the development of both, as well as other civic progress.
Pastors of Standing Rock Congregation
1883 - 1886 - L. Hill
1887 - 1904 - O.K. Anderson
1904 - 1905 - J.S. Strand
1906 - 1919 - O.K. Anderson (recalled)
1920 - 1956 - Gustav B. Sandanger
1956 - 1960 - Roger Paulson
1960 - 1969 - Marvin Arneson
1970 - 1973 - Dennis Reiman
1973 - 1977 - Wayne Hagen
As previously stated, the Standing Rock Congregation was organized in February 1882, but it took quite a few years before the congregation found it possible to build a church.
Serious differences of opinion arose over the most suitable location of the church. At the time there was no bridge across the river at Fort Ransom, and members of the congregation were rather scattered on both sides of the river. Regrettable consequences of the dilemma were that some members threatened to leave the congregation.
In 1889, Mr. T.J. Walker offered a building site that apparently was acceptable to all, and it was decided to build the church where it now stands. The main part of the church was built that same year at a cost of about $1,000. That did not include the steeple or vestry. In 1898 the steeple was erected and a church bell hung in it. The church was then considered complete and was dedicated in June 1898. An addition to the north (vestry) was built about the year 1902. The church building was altered and enlarged in 1910-1911 at a cost of $5,000. Stained glass windows for the church were paid for by the Betania Ladies Aid. The cost was $675.00.
The Young People's Society was instrumental in getting a pipe organ for the church in the year 1911. The society raised $1,000 and received an additional $1,000 from the Carnegie fund.
Other improvements added over the years have included changes in heating plants, installation of a loudspeaker system, and a new concrete foundation. The present Fellowship Hall, a modification and enlargement of the old Y.P. Hall, was constructed in 1970-1971.
"Bear Creek Hall'', now the headquarters for the Sheyenne Valley Arts and Crafts Association, was originally built for use of the Bear Creek Young People's Society in 1904. The hall was deeded over to the Standing Rock Congregation in 1919. Divine services were conducted there on occasions, and it was also used for meetings of the Young People's Society, and other social gatherings. The hall sold to SVACA in 1976 and moved to its present location in Fort Ransom.
The quaint and beautiful Standing Rock Church stands today as a true monument to the pioneer 's Christian incept. To inhabitants of the community today it serves as a constant reminder of the Gospel and a legacy to be maintained and perpetuated.
Info from Fort Ransom Area History, 1878-1978 (page 66 thru 69)
The need and the urge to organize Christian congregations became evident. Groundwork for the organization of the Standing Rock Congregation was laid at the home of Theodore Peterson Slattum. This was in the fall of 1881, and the occasion was the funeral of Marie Slattum, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theo. Slattum. Klokker Ole H. Rufsvold conducted the funeral services, and she was laid to rest on her parent's homestead. After the service, Ole Rufsvold and Gilbert Hanson talked about how desirable and necessary it was to get a congregation organized.
Pastor J.L. Lundeby of Valley City helped organize the Standing Rock Congregation in February 1882. The following men, with their families were charter members: Nels Olson, Gilbert Hanson, Ole Rufsvold, Erik Anderson, Kasper Olson, and John Kragness. Ole Rufsvold was elected secretary of the newly organized congregation and served in that capacity until 1910, a period of 28 years.
Only the charter members of each congregation will be listed in this brief account. Other pioneer families followed in the next few years and settled. Not all became members of either congregation, though they did materially assist the development of both, as well as other civic progress.
Pastors of Standing Rock Congregation
1883 - 1886 - L. Hill
1887 - 1904 - O.K. Anderson
1904 - 1905 - J.S. Strand
1906 - 1919 - O.K. Anderson (recalled)
1920 - 1956 - Gustav B. Sandanger
1956 - 1960 - Roger Paulson
1960 - 1969 - Marvin Arneson
1970 - 1973 - Dennis Reiman
1973 - 1977 - Wayne Hagen
As previously stated, the Standing Rock Congregation was organized in February 1882, but it took quite a few years before the congregation found it possible to build a church.
Serious differences of opinion arose over the most suitable location of the church. At the time there was no bridge across the river at Fort Ransom, and members of the congregation were rather scattered on both sides of the river. Regrettable consequences of the dilemma were that some members threatened to leave the congregation.
In 1889, Mr. T.J. Walker offered a building site that apparently was acceptable to all, and it was decided to build the church where it now stands. The main part of the church was built that same year at a cost of about $1,000. That did not include the steeple or vestry. In 1898 the steeple was erected and a church bell hung in it. The church was then considered complete and was dedicated in June 1898. An addition to the north (vestry) was built about the year 1902. The church building was altered and enlarged in 1910-1911 at a cost of $5,000. Stained glass windows for the church were paid for by the Betania Ladies Aid. The cost was $675.00.
The Young People's Society was instrumental in getting a pipe organ for the church in the year 1911. The society raised $1,000 and received an additional $1,000 from the Carnegie fund.
Other improvements added over the years have included changes in heating plants, installation of a loudspeaker system, and a new concrete foundation. The present Fellowship Hall, a modification and enlargement of the old Y.P. Hall, was constructed in 1970-1971.
"Bear Creek Hall'', now the headquarters for the Sheyenne Valley Arts and Crafts Association, was originally built for use of the Bear Creek Young People's Society in 1904. The hall was deeded over to the Standing Rock Congregation in 1919. Divine services were conducted there on occasions, and it was also used for meetings of the Young People's Society, and other social gatherings. The hall sold to SVACA in 1976 and moved to its present location in Fort Ransom.
The quaint and beautiful Standing Rock Church stands today as a true monument to the pioneer 's Christian incept. To inhabitants of the community today it serves as a constant reminder of the Gospel and a legacy to be maintained and perpetuated.
Info from Fort Ransom Area History, 1878-1978 (page 66 thru 69)