Lutheran Free Church
400 Barton Street
Barton, Pierce County, North Dakota 58384
400 Barton Street
Barton, Pierce County, North Dakota 58384
Barton Lutheran Church Cathedrals are built with money, but tiny churches were built with the love and sweat of early settlers. Refinements were added as the members could afford them. Such was the beginning of Barton Lutheran Free Church at the Jens Iverson farm home in 1887 under the leadership of J.U. Pederson of Minneapolis. The name adopted was Denny Norske Evangeliske Menighet, after Denny post office, now changed to Barton. Services were held in homes or in the school. The services were conducted in Norwegian and were held once a month as one pastor served several congregations.
The first pastor was Rev. Bernhard L. Hagboe, who came in 1888. His salary for that first year was a little over $21.00. Rev. Carl S. Vang came in 1900 and under his pastorate the church building was begun in 1903 on land donated by Torger Gronvold. The church was dedicated in the summer of 1908. One of the important events which took place during the years of the early church, was a deep spiritual revival which made itself felt among many of the congregations. In 1940 Zion (east Barton) dissolved and most of the members joined Barton Lutheran. The church building was sold and the proceeds used to fix the basement of BLFC. Several pastors served the church. Besides Hagboe and Vang they were: H.E. Bode, P.A. Strommen, Christian Jorgenson, V.S. Dahle, Nystrum, G.E. Amundson, L.O. Gjerde, Karl Stendahl. Harold Grindal, Richard Torgerson, Viggo Dahle, Gordon Thorpe, Palmer Ringdal and student Richard Torgerson.
When the LFC joined the ALC in 1963, Barton, by then less than 100 in population, found itself with two ALC churches of Norwegian background using the same hymnal and thoroughly interrelated and intermarried. Negotiations were begun and in 1965 the merger was accomplished. It was agreed that the Upham and Landa congregations should enter parish arrangements with the churches near them. Barton First and Free would unite and decide which church to use and the united church should be in a parish arrangement with First of Willow City and with Marker. Each congregation has its own personality, but the parish has grown together over the years. The two Barton churches are so united in the new church that it is hard for a newcomer to find a trace of the old loyalties. The congregation meets in the former Free Church and the First Church building was sold and moved and a family moved into it. The councils of the parish churches meet together once or twice a year to solve problems and plan for the future, and many members attend functions in each other's churches. Family Leagues and joint Lenten services particularly draw members of the congregations together. County and school district lines separate, but the love of God gradually draws people into a fuller realization of our unity as members of the Body of Christ.
Pastor Nielsen became the first pastor of the combined parish and the others who have served are: Delmar Goetz, Robert Olsen, Reuben Schnaidt, Barry Neese and VanVechten Crane, who is the present pastor.
Info from - A Century of Area History: Pierce County and Rugby, North Dakota, 1886-1986 (Pages 318 & 319)
The first pastor was Rev. Bernhard L. Hagboe, who came in 1888. His salary for that first year was a little over $21.00. Rev. Carl S. Vang came in 1900 and under his pastorate the church building was begun in 1903 on land donated by Torger Gronvold. The church was dedicated in the summer of 1908. One of the important events which took place during the years of the early church, was a deep spiritual revival which made itself felt among many of the congregations. In 1940 Zion (east Barton) dissolved and most of the members joined Barton Lutheran. The church building was sold and the proceeds used to fix the basement of BLFC. Several pastors served the church. Besides Hagboe and Vang they were: H.E. Bode, P.A. Strommen, Christian Jorgenson, V.S. Dahle, Nystrum, G.E. Amundson, L.O. Gjerde, Karl Stendahl. Harold Grindal, Richard Torgerson, Viggo Dahle, Gordon Thorpe, Palmer Ringdal and student Richard Torgerson.
When the LFC joined the ALC in 1963, Barton, by then less than 100 in population, found itself with two ALC churches of Norwegian background using the same hymnal and thoroughly interrelated and intermarried. Negotiations were begun and in 1965 the merger was accomplished. It was agreed that the Upham and Landa congregations should enter parish arrangements with the churches near them. Barton First and Free would unite and decide which church to use and the united church should be in a parish arrangement with First of Willow City and with Marker. Each congregation has its own personality, but the parish has grown together over the years. The two Barton churches are so united in the new church that it is hard for a newcomer to find a trace of the old loyalties. The congregation meets in the former Free Church and the First Church building was sold and moved and a family moved into it. The councils of the parish churches meet together once or twice a year to solve problems and plan for the future, and many members attend functions in each other's churches. Family Leagues and joint Lenten services particularly draw members of the congregations together. County and school district lines separate, but the love of God gradually draws people into a fuller realization of our unity as members of the Body of Christ.
Pastor Nielsen became the first pastor of the combined parish and the others who have served are: Delmar Goetz, Robert Olsen, Reuben Schnaidt, Barry Neese and VanVechten Crane, who is the present pastor.
Info from - A Century of Area History: Pierce County and Rugby, North Dakota, 1886-1986 (Pages 318 & 319)