Glueckstal Lutheran Church
46.6833° (46° 40' 59") -99.6819° (-99° 40' 54")
37th Ave SE
Tappen, Kidder County, North Dakota 58487
46.6833° (46° 40' 59") -99.6819° (-99° 40' 54")
37th Ave SE
Tappen, Kidder County, North Dakota 58487
C.Glueckstal Lutheran Church
O, God Our Help in Ages Past
Our Hope for Years to Come
Glueckstal Lutheran Church. Tappen, Kidder Co., N.D. org. 1908 by missionary Henry Nagel. Sod church built 1908, wood-frame 1913.
Served by:
Rev. Dralle
Rev. Handschuh
Rev. T. Lechner
Rev. F. Mueller 1908-1917
Rev. W. Burrack 1918-1922
Rev. A. Badenschnieder 1922-1924
Rev. H. Nagel 1924-1929
Rev. J. Grill 1930-1939
Rev. J. Kammerer 1940-1947
Rev. H. R. Walth 1948-1954
Rev. M. Bieber 1955-1957
Rev. W. (H.) Winkler 1958-1959
Rev. H. Schuler 1959-1961
Rev. M. Ost 1961-1965
Rev. M. Holje 1965-1974
Rev. E. Hiller 1974-
Son of cong. Rev. Prof. R. C. Lang 1949--.
Info from - back of Glueckstal Lutheran Church plate
O, God Our Help in Ages Past
Our Hope for Years to Come
Glueckstal Lutheran Church. Tappen, Kidder Co., N.D. org. 1908 by missionary Henry Nagel. Sod church built 1908, wood-frame 1913.
Served by:
Rev. Dralle
Rev. Handschuh
Rev. T. Lechner
Rev. F. Mueller 1908-1917
Rev. W. Burrack 1918-1922
Rev. A. Badenschnieder 1922-1924
Rev. H. Nagel 1924-1929
Rev. J. Grill 1930-1939
Rev. J. Kammerer 1940-1947
Rev. H. R. Walth 1948-1954
Rev. M. Bieber 1955-1957
Rev. W. (H.) Winkler 1958-1959
Rev. H. Schuler 1959-1961
Rev. M. Ost 1961-1965
Rev. M. Holje 1965-1974
Rev. E. Hiller 1974-
Son of cong. Rev. Prof. R. C. Lang 1949--.
Info from - back of Glueckstal Lutheran Church plate
In the early days around the year 1900, a missionary by the name of Heinrich Nagel, was sent to South Central North Dakota to preach the message of salvation. Since there were no church buildings, the services were held in the homes. The pioneers saw the need for corporate worship and in 1908 the settlers of the community got together and built a sod structure. The interior was very plain. Pews were a luxury the settlers could not afford. Each family had to furnish their own chairs or buggy seats, or else stand during the service. Missionary Nagel had a large territory so could be present only every fifth Sunday.
During the absence of the Pastor deacons such as Werre, Schauer, Mertz, Reuer and Lang would lead the services. The name "Glueckstal" means lucky valley and was the unanimous choice of the first members. Most of them coming from that area in Russia and they wanted a reminder of their former homeland. Charter members of the church are Emanuel Schauer, Gottfried and Jacob Werre, Johannes and Simon Albrecht,
Carl Lang, John Reuer, Jacob Winkler, Fred Rittel, Christ Neumiller, Jacob Job, Carl Frei, John Mertz Sr., Jacob Weidlick, George Stadel and Jacob Schumacher. The congregation still has members by the name of Albrecht, Lang, Werre, Reuer, Mertz, and Schumacherr.
In 1913 the sod church was no longer adequate to accommodate the membership, so Jacob Werre Sr. donated 2 acres of land and they built the present church one-half mile north of where the sod church was located. The building was complete with such modern equipment as pews, poloroid glass windows, a bell and both a pulpit and altar. The people came from miles around to worship in such a splendid church. Missionary
Nagel left the area in 1913 and Missionary Handschuh succeeded him. Pastor Leckner and Mueller served until 1917. The Rev. Burrack accepted a call to Glueckstal and as there was as yet no organ, he led the singing while playing a horn.
In 1922 they purchased the first organ. Other Pastors serving Glueckstal were Rev. John Grill, Rev. John Kammerer, Rev. A. R. Walth, during whose time several improvements were made. In 1948 a new organ was bought, electric lights, a new oil furnace and new pews were installed. Rev. Martin Bieber, Rev. W. H. Winkler, Rev. Schuler, Pastor Ost and at present Pastor Holje is serving the congregation. Rev. Reuben Lang is a son of the congregation.
Discussion has been, should services ever be discontinued, in this church, it would be kept as it is at present, open for funerals, weddings and the like. This little country Church stands high and proud out in the wide-open spaces. A reminder to us that it was the heart of such a large community that has led so many souls to
our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Arthur Jacob Werre
Information - Tappen, 1878-1966: Eighty-Eight Years of Progress
During the absence of the Pastor deacons such as Werre, Schauer, Mertz, Reuer and Lang would lead the services. The name "Glueckstal" means lucky valley and was the unanimous choice of the first members. Most of them coming from that area in Russia and they wanted a reminder of their former homeland. Charter members of the church are Emanuel Schauer, Gottfried and Jacob Werre, Johannes and Simon Albrecht,
Carl Lang, John Reuer, Jacob Winkler, Fred Rittel, Christ Neumiller, Jacob Job, Carl Frei, John Mertz Sr., Jacob Weidlick, George Stadel and Jacob Schumacher. The congregation still has members by the name of Albrecht, Lang, Werre, Reuer, Mertz, and Schumacherr.
In 1913 the sod church was no longer adequate to accommodate the membership, so Jacob Werre Sr. donated 2 acres of land and they built the present church one-half mile north of where the sod church was located. The building was complete with such modern equipment as pews, poloroid glass windows, a bell and both a pulpit and altar. The people came from miles around to worship in such a splendid church. Missionary
Nagel left the area in 1913 and Missionary Handschuh succeeded him. Pastor Leckner and Mueller served until 1917. The Rev. Burrack accepted a call to Glueckstal and as there was as yet no organ, he led the singing while playing a horn.
In 1922 they purchased the first organ. Other Pastors serving Glueckstal were Rev. John Grill, Rev. John Kammerer, Rev. A. R. Walth, during whose time several improvements were made. In 1948 a new organ was bought, electric lights, a new oil furnace and new pews were installed. Rev. Martin Bieber, Rev. W. H. Winkler, Rev. Schuler, Pastor Ost and at present Pastor Holje is serving the congregation. Rev. Reuben Lang is a son of the congregation.
Discussion has been, should services ever be discontinued, in this church, it would be kept as it is at present, open for funerals, weddings and the like. This little country Church stands high and proud out in the wide-open spaces. A reminder to us that it was the heart of such a large community that has led so many souls to
our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Arthur Jacob Werre
Information - Tappen, 1878-1966: Eighty-Eight Years of Progress