First Congregational UCC (known as the United Church of Christ)
311 W. Ash Ave.
Glen Ullin, Morton County, North Dakota 58631
311 W. Ash Ave.
Glen Ullin, Morton County, North Dakota 58631
United Church of Christ
The first group of people to settle in Glen Ullin in May 1883, were of several religious denominations. The Protestants, feeling the need for some form of worship, organized and held church services in the railroad depot. In August 1884, a committee of persons interested in forming a church was appointed. Even though Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists were in the group, the Congregational form of church was chosen as best to meet the needs of the people at that time. Rev. H.C. Simmons of Fargo, District Superintendent, came to Glen Ullin on Aug. 31, 1884, to assist in the organization. Arrangements were made for a minister to come every two weeks. Services continued to be held in the depot until a church was built in 1885.
The site chosen for the church was between the present Lutheran church and Gerving Machine Shop. Work began May 25, 1885, and with many willing hands the building was completed that year. On May 2, 1886, Sunday School was organized. The church was completely destroyed by fire March 22, 1888, and to make matters worse, the insurance was found to be worthless. The church members immediately made plans for a new building on the same location. It took some time to raise the necessary funds and to rebuilt. Church services were held in a house rented from Mr. W.S. Jones for $2 .00 a month until August 1890 when he moved the house to his farm where it still stands today. Another old building was used until 1892 when the new church was completed. A parsonage was built in 1894 (now Adam Emter's home, 203 S. 2nd St.).
A new brick church building was constructed on lots donated by Charles Waechter. Work on the building was begun in the spring of 1908 and completed that fall. Dedication services took place Nov. 8-13, 1908. The old church was sold in 1908. With the old parsonage being in need of extensive repairs, Rev. Haas moved to the Bullamore house (now Mrs. Adam Herz's house, 311 Elm Ave. W.) which was then purchased by the church in 1919. In 1927 a smaller house was traded for the Bullamore house, and this parsonage was sold in the fall of 1944 to Leon Berger.
n 1945 Rev. Howard Dukelow accepted a call as pastor of our church. He and his family lived in the church basement for five years until the new parsonage was built east of the present church on lots donated by Mrs. Inez Waechter. Rev. Dukelow gave much of his time and energy to the building of the new parsonage, only to leave shortly thereafter.
This church was organized under the name of "First Congregational Church." In recent years it was changed to "First Congregational United Church of Christ." The church women organized the Ladies Aid in the late 1880's; this was later changed to Women' s Fellowship. A men's club was organized in the 1950's.
Rev. Helmuth Maedche has been serving us since July 1968. He lives in Hebron and serves the churches in Glen Ullin and Hebron.
The church has been active and serves by many pastors. Numerous church memorials have been purchased with the memorial gifts received. The church building is in good repair and, God willing, will serve for many more years.
Glen Ullin Cemetery Association
The Glen Ullin Cemetery Association was organized in 1894 by the early settlers who had founded the First Congregational Church (known as the United Church of Christ). The first committee members were Sid Morgan, John Bullamore and D. P. Barnes. Twenty acres of land in the SE ¼ of Sec. 31, bordering the south of Glen Ullin, were purchased for $25 from D.P. Barnes and J. T. Nelson on Jan. 18, 1898, by trustees of the Glen Ullin Cemetery Association - Sid Morgan, John Cannell and Charles Lidstrom.
The first person to be buried in the Glen Ullin Cemetery was Mrs. Bela Carter. Civil War Veterans buried in this cemetery are E. F. Green, Sid O. Morgan, George O. White, Mr. Schmerhoon, Andrew Tubbs, Mr. Anhorn, Lucius Hubbard, Elijah Bean, John Bullamore, Mr. Ruland and Othello Delano.
Members of the First Congregational church who bought the first lots in this cemetery were: Amos Allen, John Bullamore, Will Pribbernow (for his heirs), John White, George T. Wilson, D.L. Faust, Bela Carter, Joseph A. Seif, Harvey Harper, William Bethke, Lucius Hubbard and John Cannell.
Info from - Glen Ullin Yesteryears, 1883-1983 (page 114)
The first group of people to settle in Glen Ullin in May 1883, were of several religious denominations. The Protestants, feeling the need for some form of worship, organized and held church services in the railroad depot. In August 1884, a committee of persons interested in forming a church was appointed. Even though Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists were in the group, the Congregational form of church was chosen as best to meet the needs of the people at that time. Rev. H.C. Simmons of Fargo, District Superintendent, came to Glen Ullin on Aug. 31, 1884, to assist in the organization. Arrangements were made for a minister to come every two weeks. Services continued to be held in the depot until a church was built in 1885.
The site chosen for the church was between the present Lutheran church and Gerving Machine Shop. Work began May 25, 1885, and with many willing hands the building was completed that year. On May 2, 1886, Sunday School was organized. The church was completely destroyed by fire March 22, 1888, and to make matters worse, the insurance was found to be worthless. The church members immediately made plans for a new building on the same location. It took some time to raise the necessary funds and to rebuilt. Church services were held in a house rented from Mr. W.S. Jones for $2 .00 a month until August 1890 when he moved the house to his farm where it still stands today. Another old building was used until 1892 when the new church was completed. A parsonage was built in 1894 (now Adam Emter's home, 203 S. 2nd St.).
A new brick church building was constructed on lots donated by Charles Waechter. Work on the building was begun in the spring of 1908 and completed that fall. Dedication services took place Nov. 8-13, 1908. The old church was sold in 1908. With the old parsonage being in need of extensive repairs, Rev. Haas moved to the Bullamore house (now Mrs. Adam Herz's house, 311 Elm Ave. W.) which was then purchased by the church in 1919. In 1927 a smaller house was traded for the Bullamore house, and this parsonage was sold in the fall of 1944 to Leon Berger.
n 1945 Rev. Howard Dukelow accepted a call as pastor of our church. He and his family lived in the church basement for five years until the new parsonage was built east of the present church on lots donated by Mrs. Inez Waechter. Rev. Dukelow gave much of his time and energy to the building of the new parsonage, only to leave shortly thereafter.
This church was organized under the name of "First Congregational Church." In recent years it was changed to "First Congregational United Church of Christ." The church women organized the Ladies Aid in the late 1880's; this was later changed to Women' s Fellowship. A men's club was organized in the 1950's.
Rev. Helmuth Maedche has been serving us since July 1968. He lives in Hebron and serves the churches in Glen Ullin and Hebron.
The church has been active and serves by many pastors. Numerous church memorials have been purchased with the memorial gifts received. The church building is in good repair and, God willing, will serve for many more years.
Glen Ullin Cemetery Association
The Glen Ullin Cemetery Association was organized in 1894 by the early settlers who had founded the First Congregational Church (known as the United Church of Christ). The first committee members were Sid Morgan, John Bullamore and D. P. Barnes. Twenty acres of land in the SE ¼ of Sec. 31, bordering the south of Glen Ullin, were purchased for $25 from D.P. Barnes and J. T. Nelson on Jan. 18, 1898, by trustees of the Glen Ullin Cemetery Association - Sid Morgan, John Cannell and Charles Lidstrom.
The first person to be buried in the Glen Ullin Cemetery was Mrs. Bela Carter. Civil War Veterans buried in this cemetery are E. F. Green, Sid O. Morgan, George O. White, Mr. Schmerhoon, Andrew Tubbs, Mr. Anhorn, Lucius Hubbard, Elijah Bean, John Bullamore, Mr. Ruland and Othello Delano.
Members of the First Congregational church who bought the first lots in this cemetery were: Amos Allen, John Bullamore, Will Pribbernow (for his heirs), John White, George T. Wilson, D.L. Faust, Bela Carter, Joseph A. Seif, Harvey Harper, William Bethke, Lucius Hubbard and John Cannell.
Info from - Glen Ullin Yesteryears, 1883-1983 (page 114)