East Norway Lutheran Church
47°42'53.1"N 97°58'07.2"W
Aneta, Nelson County, North Dakota 58212
47°42'53.1"N 97°58'07.2"W
Aneta, Nelson County, North Dakota 58212
The Church and Cemetery are located one mile east and two miles north of Aneta, ND 58218.
100th Anniversary
1885-1985
Sundahl Lutheran Church (Logan Church, "Old" Sundahl & East Norway Church)
Sundahl American Lutheran Church
of Aneta, North Dakota
"Old Sundahl Lutheran," organized in 1885 at the Iver Swenson 14' by 16' sod home. Destroyed by fire in February 1949 and rebuilt for first service in July 1950.
Norway Lutheran Church organized in 1891 at the E.B. Hillesland sod hoe, merged with Sundahl in 1967.
Logaan Lutheran Church organized in 1891 at the Knute Helland sod home in Logan township, merged with Sundahl in 1977.
Centennial celebration June 8-9, 1985.
Info from - the back of the Sundahl Lutheran Church (Logan Church, "Old" Sundahl & East Norway Church) plate
1885-1985
Sundahl Lutheran Church (Logan Church, "Old" Sundahl & East Norway Church)
Sundahl American Lutheran Church
of Aneta, North Dakota
"Old Sundahl Lutheran," organized in 1885 at the Iver Swenson 14' by 16' sod home. Destroyed by fire in February 1949 and rebuilt for first service in July 1950.
Norway Lutheran Church organized in 1891 at the E.B. Hillesland sod hoe, merged with Sundahl in 1967.
Logaan Lutheran Church organized in 1891 at the Knute Helland sod home in Logan township, merged with Sundahl in 1977.
Centennial celebration June 8-9, 1985.
Info from - the back of the Sundahl Lutheran Church (Logan Church, "Old" Sundahl & East Norway Church) plate
The first meeting forming a church congregation was held in the sod house belonging to Erik Hillesland in 1891. Rev. T. T. Skjel helped organize them and served as their first pastor. There were 13 charter members.
The first services were held in homes and schoolhouses. They saw a need of a cemetery and Tom Field offered an acre of land in section 33 of Ora Township until the church was built in 1903 on land donated by Johanna Newman ~ two acres on the NE 1/4 of section 21 in Ora Township where the church and cemetery now stand.
Rev. L. L. Langehaug of Sharon became the pastor of the congregation in 1905 after the church was completed and he served until he suffered a stroke while delivering a sermon in 1939.
The congregation then joined with the McVille-Hoff parish and was served by several pastors until Jan. 12, 1967, when the congregation was dissolved, and a cemetery association was formed to care for the cemetery and the church property. Anyone having family members buried there are considered members of the cemetery association.
The first services were held in homes and schoolhouses. They saw a need of a cemetery and Tom Field offered an acre of land in section 33 of Ora Township until the church was built in 1903 on land donated by Johanna Newman ~ two acres on the NE 1/4 of section 21 in Ora Township where the church and cemetery now stand.
Rev. L. L. Langehaug of Sharon became the pastor of the congregation in 1905 after the church was completed and he served until he suffered a stroke while delivering a sermon in 1939.
The congregation then joined with the McVille-Hoff parish and was served by several pastors until Jan. 12, 1967, when the congregation was dissolved, and a cemetery association was formed to care for the cemetery and the church property. Anyone having family members buried there are considered members of the cemetery association.