Calvary Episcopal Church Buffalo
206 Wilcox Ave N
Buffalo, Cass County, North Dakota 58011
206 Wilcox Ave N
Buffalo, Cass County, North Dakota 58011
Buffalo, North Dakota
1880 Centennial 1980
When the railroad rolled across
The prairies to the west,
It laid the way for pioneers,
And the settlers did the rest.
Each built a home, a barn or shed,
They started church and school.
This led to business ventures
And the need for law and rule.
The farmers and the townsmen
Had the strength and will to do
Whatever was required of them
And labored long and true
To start a town, to build a life--
The story we all know.
We celebrate one hundred years
Of the town of Buffalo.
MB
Info from – back of Buffalo, North Dakota 1880 Centennial 1980 plate
1880 Centennial 1980
When the railroad rolled across
The prairies to the west,
It laid the way for pioneers,
And the settlers did the rest.
Each built a home, a barn or shed,
They started church and school.
This led to business ventures
And the need for law and rule.
The farmers and the townsmen
Had the strength and will to do
Whatever was required of them
And labored long and true
To start a town, to build a life--
The story we all know.
We celebrate one hundred years
Of the town of Buffalo.
MB
Info from – back of Buffalo, North Dakota 1880 Centennial 1980 plate
CALVARY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
In the early 1880s the work of the Episcopal Church in Buffalo began with the visitation of a missionary of the church to families in the vicinity who had been members of the Episcopal Church in their homes in the East. Some of the families included in this group were the Talcotts, Ruetells, Winsloes, S.G. More, Nels Nudell, Ira Stiles, Peder Berg and later Dr. S.B. Clark. The congregation formed and built the Calvary Episcopal church of prairies tone gathered from the surrounding community. Angus Beaton, a Canadian stonemason was the builder. The first clergyman, the Reverend John Trenaman, held services in the new building in October 1886. The church became an organized mission in July 1887. In 1917 the church closed because of the decrease in the size of the congregation. The picturesque stone building still stands.
Info from – Buffalo-Our Town on the Prairie 1880-1980 (page 24)
In the early 1880s the work of the Episcopal Church in Buffalo began with the visitation of a missionary of the church to families in the vicinity who had been members of the Episcopal Church in their homes in the East. Some of the families included in this group were the Talcotts, Ruetells, Winsloes, S.G. More, Nels Nudell, Ira Stiles, Peder Berg and later Dr. S.B. Clark. The congregation formed and built the Calvary Episcopal church of prairies tone gathered from the surrounding community. Angus Beaton, a Canadian stonemason was the builder. The first clergyman, the Reverend John Trenaman, held services in the new building in October 1886. The church became an organized mission in July 1887. In 1917 the church closed because of the decrease in the size of the congregation. The picturesque stone building still stands.
Info from – Buffalo-Our Town on the Prairie 1880-1980 (page 24)
CALVARY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The work of the Episcopal Church in Buffalo, North Dakota, began about 1884 when the Reverend O'Callaghan McCarthy was sent by Bishop Walker "to minister to the few churchmen who had the courage to leave their comfortable eastern homes in order that they might reap the fruits of the bountiful harvests which the fertile plains of North Dakota were known to yield.'' The congregation grew rapidly and the Episcopal Society under the guidance of the Reverend McCarthy made plans to erect a church building. The cornerstone of the church was laid by Bishop Walker in July 1885, and the building was completed in the fall of 1886. Angus Beaton, a Buffalo stonemason and bricklayer, built the church of native prairie stones. The church was a 22/60-foot building with a tower and belfry 8/10-feet and 30 feet high at the corner over the main entry. There was also an 8/10-foot vestry room. Stained glass windows and an open-beamed ceiling completed the building. The Reverend John Trenaman, the first clergyman, services held in the new building on the first Sunday in October 1886. The church was consecrated by Bishop Walker June 27, 1887, and in July 1887 it became an organized mission. Bishop Walker's church, Calvary Chapel, New York, New York, contributed a font, lectern, chancel chair and money to its namesake, Calvary Chapel, New Buffalo, Dakota Territory. The membership consisted of twelve families and twenty-six individuals. The church building was valued at $2,400.
The Reverend Roderick J. Mooney followed the Reverend Trenaman in 1896. At this time the rectory was built, and many communicants were added to the congregation. From 1897 to 1900, the Reverend T.H.J. Walton was in charge followed by the Reverend A. Chard. In 1902 the Reverend Chard changed his residence to Casselton, North Dakota, but continued to serve the Buffalo Mission. He was followed by the Reverend Childs.
During these years the Women 's Guild was active holding bazaars and food sales. The money was used wherever needed in the church going mainly for improvements and repairs. There was also a thriving Sunday school. Dr. S.B. Clark was the superintendent.
''On the night of July 3, 1903, during a severe rain and windstorm, the south-east corner of the tower of the church fell away leaving an unsightly hole and leaving the remaining portion of the tower unsafe." By November 1903 the tower had been rebuilt, and the masonry was strengthened by the addition of heavy buttresses at the corners both of the tower and of the main building, adding much to the ap appearance of the edifice.
In May 1904, upon the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Stiles, the people of Buffalo showered them with $100 in gold, together with a reception and banquet at the Vinson Hotel. About 300 guests were present to show the esteem in which the oldest parishioners of Calvary Episcopal Church were held.
In 1906 there was much confusion in the order of services due to an erratic train schedule. The Reverend Childs traveled by train from Casselton and the services were to be held at 7:30 p.m. or as soon as possible after the local train arrived. The very severe weather during the winter months resulted in many cancelled services because the missionary could not meet his appointments due to the disarranged train schedule. Attendance at church in 1906-07 began a steady decline due mainly to the moving of members to other places and to the irregularity of church services.
The Sheaf notes the death of Dav id Stephen More, son of Mr. and Mrs. S.G. More. David was run over by a freight train on a sidetrack near the depot on the evening of November 11, 1907. There was also an older boy, a stranger, injured at the same time who died two days later of lockjaw. Services were held for David on November 13, 1907, in the More home and in the cemetery.
From 1913 on no regular services were held. Most of the members had moved away, and the remaining members were not financially able to carry on. During the years from 1913 to 1917, vandals destroyed the windows, and the wind, rain, snow and dirt damaged the interior.
In 1917 there was a brief renewal of interest in reopening the church. During 1918 the church was restored both inside and outside and regular services were held during the summer months. However, there were just fifteen communicants left in Buffalo and within a short time Calvary Church closed. The Bishop believed the fact that the building was without either heating or lighting systems were a major factor leading to the closing.
The following are some of the early church members:
Socrates Squires Mr. and Mrs. Richard Stiles
Miss Squires Mr. and Mrs. William Story
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Talcott Mrs. L.A. Clark
Mrs. S.G. More Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Scott
Mr. and Mrs. Ruettel Mr. and Mrs. John Wadman
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Baker Mr. and Mrs. A.W.L. Hamilton
Dr. and Mrs. S.B. Clark Mr. and Mrs. G.M. Whipple
Mr. and Mrs. Peder Berg Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Raveling
Mr. and Mrs. Nels Nudell Harmy Raveling
Mr. and Mrs. James Winsloe Mrs. Lucy K. Peterson
The Rev. and Mrs. G. Pehrsson Arthur Berg
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Blish
The building remained unused for many years. In December 1936, the Buffalo Masonic Lodge 77 AF & AM purchased it. The church furniture and books were given to the churches at Enderlin, Lisbon, and Oakes, all in North Dakota. In April 1952, the rectory was sold to the Peavey Elevator Company for $2,250.
The picturesque stone building still stands, a monument to the memory of the New Yorkers who named our town.
Info from – Buffalo-Our Town on the Prairie 1880-1980 (pages 37-38)
The work of the Episcopal Church in Buffalo, North Dakota, began about 1884 when the Reverend O'Callaghan McCarthy was sent by Bishop Walker "to minister to the few churchmen who had the courage to leave their comfortable eastern homes in order that they might reap the fruits of the bountiful harvests which the fertile plains of North Dakota were known to yield.'' The congregation grew rapidly and the Episcopal Society under the guidance of the Reverend McCarthy made plans to erect a church building. The cornerstone of the church was laid by Bishop Walker in July 1885, and the building was completed in the fall of 1886. Angus Beaton, a Buffalo stonemason and bricklayer, built the church of native prairie stones. The church was a 22/60-foot building with a tower and belfry 8/10-feet and 30 feet high at the corner over the main entry. There was also an 8/10-foot vestry room. Stained glass windows and an open-beamed ceiling completed the building. The Reverend John Trenaman, the first clergyman, services held in the new building on the first Sunday in October 1886. The church was consecrated by Bishop Walker June 27, 1887, and in July 1887 it became an organized mission. Bishop Walker's church, Calvary Chapel, New York, New York, contributed a font, lectern, chancel chair and money to its namesake, Calvary Chapel, New Buffalo, Dakota Territory. The membership consisted of twelve families and twenty-six individuals. The church building was valued at $2,400.
The Reverend Roderick J. Mooney followed the Reverend Trenaman in 1896. At this time the rectory was built, and many communicants were added to the congregation. From 1897 to 1900, the Reverend T.H.J. Walton was in charge followed by the Reverend A. Chard. In 1902 the Reverend Chard changed his residence to Casselton, North Dakota, but continued to serve the Buffalo Mission. He was followed by the Reverend Childs.
During these years the Women 's Guild was active holding bazaars and food sales. The money was used wherever needed in the church going mainly for improvements and repairs. There was also a thriving Sunday school. Dr. S.B. Clark was the superintendent.
''On the night of July 3, 1903, during a severe rain and windstorm, the south-east corner of the tower of the church fell away leaving an unsightly hole and leaving the remaining portion of the tower unsafe." By November 1903 the tower had been rebuilt, and the masonry was strengthened by the addition of heavy buttresses at the corners both of the tower and of the main building, adding much to the ap appearance of the edifice.
In May 1904, upon the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Stiles, the people of Buffalo showered them with $100 in gold, together with a reception and banquet at the Vinson Hotel. About 300 guests were present to show the esteem in which the oldest parishioners of Calvary Episcopal Church were held.
In 1906 there was much confusion in the order of services due to an erratic train schedule. The Reverend Childs traveled by train from Casselton and the services were to be held at 7:30 p.m. or as soon as possible after the local train arrived. The very severe weather during the winter months resulted in many cancelled services because the missionary could not meet his appointments due to the disarranged train schedule. Attendance at church in 1906-07 began a steady decline due mainly to the moving of members to other places and to the irregularity of church services.
The Sheaf notes the death of Dav id Stephen More, son of Mr. and Mrs. S.G. More. David was run over by a freight train on a sidetrack near the depot on the evening of November 11, 1907. There was also an older boy, a stranger, injured at the same time who died two days later of lockjaw. Services were held for David on November 13, 1907, in the More home and in the cemetery.
From 1913 on no regular services were held. Most of the members had moved away, and the remaining members were not financially able to carry on. During the years from 1913 to 1917, vandals destroyed the windows, and the wind, rain, snow and dirt damaged the interior.
In 1917 there was a brief renewal of interest in reopening the church. During 1918 the church was restored both inside and outside and regular services were held during the summer months. However, there were just fifteen communicants left in Buffalo and within a short time Calvary Church closed. The Bishop believed the fact that the building was without either heating or lighting systems were a major factor leading to the closing.
The following are some of the early church members:
Socrates Squires Mr. and Mrs. Richard Stiles
Miss Squires Mr. and Mrs. William Story
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Talcott Mrs. L.A. Clark
Mrs. S.G. More Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Scott
Mr. and Mrs. Ruettel Mr. and Mrs. John Wadman
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Baker Mr. and Mrs. A.W.L. Hamilton
Dr. and Mrs. S.B. Clark Mr. and Mrs. G.M. Whipple
Mr. and Mrs. Peder Berg Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Raveling
Mr. and Mrs. Nels Nudell Harmy Raveling
Mr. and Mrs. James Winsloe Mrs. Lucy K. Peterson
The Rev. and Mrs. G. Pehrsson Arthur Berg
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Blish
The building remained unused for many years. In December 1936, the Buffalo Masonic Lodge 77 AF & AM purchased it. The church furniture and books were given to the churches at Enderlin, Lisbon, and Oakes, all in North Dakota. In April 1952, the rectory was sold to the Peavey Elevator Company for $2,250.
The picturesque stone building still stands, a monument to the memory of the New Yorkers who named our town.
Info from – Buffalo-Our Town on the Prairie 1880-1980 (pages 37-38)